Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

I am buying a cooked 18lb turkey the day before Thanksgiving

I am buying a cooked 18lb turkey the day before Thanksgiving and have to refrigerate it overnight. When I take it out of the refrigerator Thanksgiving morning, how long will it take to warmup the 18LB Turkey that is cooked but cold now. Do I put the oven on 325 and a meat thermometer in the thick of the thigh until it reaches 165?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jane, and welcome back to Just Answer.

You're on the right track, but the meat thermometer in the thick of the thigh should reach 140 degrees, not 165, because the turkey is already cooked. Yes, put the oven on 325 degrees. Follow these directions from Butterball (http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/roast#three):

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. (remove wrapper) DO NOT STUFF.
  1. Place thawed turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep.
  2. Brush skin with cooking oil or spray with cooking spray to prevent the skin from drying.
  3. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer deep into the lower part of the thigh muscle, but not touching the bone.
  4. Place your turkey in the pre-heated oven at 325 degrees and heat until hot (140 degrees).
    • For Smoked Turkey: Cover pan completely with foil for the entire cooking time.
    • For Baked Turkey: Cover breast loosely with lightweight foil after 1 to 1 1/4 hours to prevent over-browning and drying of breast.
  5. Start checking for doneness about 30 minutes before end of recommended cooking times. For an 18 lb. turkey, it is recommended to heat for 2-2½ hours.
  6. Your turkey is done when the meat thermometer reaches 140 degrees deep in the thigh.
  7. Carve and serve immediately.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking "Reply".

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cher, I bake a frozen pumpkin pie in this new type oven, which I thnk is a glasstop convection . It took 25 minutes longer than the 60-70 minutes recommendd by the directions. Is this becaus it is the 1st time it ws used or do convectionovens take longer?
Shoul my 18 lb. refrigerated cooked turkey be warmed up longer then recmmended or just watch the thermmeter? Should I tent it with foil to prevent dryin out of the skin and breast?
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jane and thanks for requesting me.

Did the package from the frozen pumpkin pie provide directions for convection ovens? If so, it would have been best to follow those directions. I know nowadays, since so many people do use convection ovens, usually they include directions for them on the frozen foods.

I would follow the directions provided yesterday, for warming up the turkey, for the time and temperature given, and definitely watch the thermometer. Yes, tent the breast loosely with lightweight foil after 1 to 1 1/4 hours, to prevent over-browning and drying out of the breast meat.

Best regards,
Cher