N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in California since 1983
9653905

I recently directed my very first gospel stage play. I have

I recently directed my very first gospel stage play. I have no previous experiance with producing or directing, but the production was very well received (sold out!) I am going to put on an encore presentation of the play soon, but where do I go from there? I want to travel with this production to my surrounding cities but I don't know the process of advertising in places that I don't know. I have a limited amount of capital and I am asking what would be the direction to move toward to continue the success of the stage play in my surrounding cities.
My opinion is that you need a demo tape. You can record the upcoming encore performance at least on audio and preferably on video so you have something you can present to other venues. You will need to have each actor sign a release allowing you to do this. I expect the actors would cooperate in the expectation that they will get to go on tour which will generate revenue to all of you.

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am mostly looking for the quickest ways to promote the stage play in my surrounding cities and things I should think about, or know, before planning a small tour through the surrounding cities.

You could give free passes to all the theatre critics in the area when you put on the encore performance. Getting reviews published helps.

I forgot to ask, did you write the script and the score?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I added to an original script, but I got in writing, permission from the original playwrite to perform the play for profit until its revenue reaches a certain point. As long as I keep his name as the primary writer of the script, royalties would be discussed at a later date, after the revenue reaches a certain point.
Thank you for your reply.

I am not aware of any guide to how to take a show on the road, but
This Business of Music from
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/This-Business-of-Music-10th-Edition/M-William-Krasilovsky/e/9780823077236
might be helpful to you.