N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in California since 1983

I,m a big PRO sports fan.

I,m a big PRO sports fan but am deeply concerned of the current NFL lockout: So I would like to know which is more probable to occur. I just randomly chose another predictment to compare: Do you people really think the chance the players and/or other staff will get together and reach an agreement by the end of the climitalogical Spring which is May 31 (which is about 38 days away (Trente-huit jours))even though fans surely want to see it occur by Autumn. But do you think the agreement on or before May 31st is more likely than this: That either I OR part of my car will get struck by lightning within 2 years (Deux anns) of today,s date AND when the temperature is at OR below 20 degrees F. I spend at least an hour every day outdoors. When you come up with an answer can you explain why one or the other is slimmer meaning if you think the agreement is more likely than ME or my car gets hit by lightning any time within 2 years from today and the temperature must be AT or colder than 20 F, not celsius. So I can plan on what I can expect the next few months. When you look at the lightning stat keep in mind I live in southern Minnesota.
The odds of ending the lockout by May 31 are much higher than the odds of you or your vehicle being struck by lightning within 2 years while the temperature is below 20° F.
I have found several estimates of the odds of being hit by lightning:
Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1
Odds = 1 : 280,000 of being struck by lightning

According to the U.S. National Weather Service, the odds of being struck by lightning -- in your lifetime -- are 1 in 5,000.
The odds of being struck in any given year: 1 in 700,000

I cannot remember ever missing a football season because of a lockout, so I am confident it will be resolved, but cannot predict when. Too many people will lose too much money if this is not resolved so the odds of ending it are higher than the odds of you or your car being hit by lightning during such a short time span as you specified. An hour or so per day for 2 years at minus 20 is not much of a window for the lightning. Even assuming the car is outside all day, the odds of lightning hitting either of you are microscopic.

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for accepting my answer.