Tyler
Tyler , Professional Musician
Experience:  B.M, M.M. Skilled in music theory, history and ear training.
21042015

Looking to get a lap dulcimer and just needing your opinion

Looking to get a lap dulcimer and just needing your opinion if it is easy to learn to play. I love the sweet sound of a dulcimer.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Tyler replied 5 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question.

A dulcimer is like most other melodic percussion instruments in the way that it is played. Mallets are used to strike the notes (strings in this case) to create the sounds. In order to play it effectively you would need musical training. Not too many people teach dulcimer lessons so it would be best to take piano lessons to gain an understanding of music and how the notes are arranged. You could then take lessons on tuned percussion instruments to learn how to play with mallets. To summarize this answer, it would be easy to play if you already knew how to play a musical instrument well. For someone totally new to music it would be as difficult to learn as any other instrument. Best of luck to you!

Important! When you placed a deposit to ask a question, that amount was withdrawn from your bank account and placed in your Just Answer account. That money remains there and I am not paid until you press the ACCEPT button. Once I have satisfactorily answered your question, please press ACCEPT as that is the only way I am compensated for the time and research I have personally given your question. If you need more information, please press REPLY so I can help you further. Positive feedback is very beneficial to me and, if you are able to take a minute once the process is over to leave some I would greatly appreciate it. If you have reason to leave less than positive feedback, please contact me first so I can ensure you are properly assisted with your question. Thanks and best wishes!