Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
14666028

how to I make an orange costume for an adult male. He wants

how to I make an orange costume for an adult male. He wants the costume to be half of an orange and then his girlfriend is in another half of an orange costume. Cute, but I don't know where to begin
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer. Would it be something similar to this: link (minus the squirrel head :)). What is the budget for this? On a 1 to 100% scale, how identical does it need to look like a real orange?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is exactly what I am looking for. I would like it to look exactly like that picture because thats the picture he gave me when he asked me to make it. The budget would be what it would cost me to make it like that picture. :-)
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
There is 2 ways to do one i guess. A flexible one very comfortable (but less orange like, made of foam and fabric) and a rigid one. You would probably need to make it no larger than a door for practicality concern. I personally would prefer one that would allow me to sit, so foam would be a good way.

If using foam, you could use lot of disc shaped hollow foam slice (same foam as in sofa) and glue them with flexible cloth glue. A bit like an Hanoi tower but forming a demisphere instead of a cone (the more disc, the more it will approximate a perfect demisphere). The disc need to be hollow to allow a person in, but the end orange need to be tick enough to not deform when poked. Then you can bill the L shaped defect in the shape to make it more round and cover the whole thing with an orange fabric. You could use a round wood frame for the front or a closed plastic tube, and then stretch the fruit compartment pattern on that (like a tam tam). I would then install some kind of suspender system inside the costume so that it stay centered around the wearer.

Try to build a scale model first to not waste material (around 12 inch diameter).

Just ask if you want tip on doing a more realistic rigid one (in case they don't plan to sit).
Martin, Engineer
Experience: Fan of Cinema and Video Games