Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Experience:  20 years experience in performing, studio sessions, producing, composing, entertainment management.
22399724

Seeking help to find monetary sponsor(s) for my Hottest New

Seeking help to find monetary sponsor(s) for my Hottest New Artist national radio show and song contest. Next week we go live w new feature for tuning into radio show an inteactive Ustream (audio video chat stats) for the weekly radio show on local 1340AM to 80,800 local listeners Richmond area VA . My show Plays the top commercial artist all genre & emerging unsigned artist. I'm seeking monetary sponsors to support either or both radio show and or contest. The website is under construction however; you can read home page, click "radio show and Competition tabs atop page: http://hna2.webplus.net to get more information about HNA.
Hello. Thanks for your question and kudos on your show and song contest.

I would start local with your contest. That way you can get the best leverage, rather than trying to market it nationally or even globally. That's a lot of competition! I noticed you mentioned emailing, writing etc. Have you gone to any chamber of commerce after hour parties? Those are often a great way to connect to business owners in a relaxed environment and pitch them your idea. These are meant for networking, that's the purpose. You need to get face time with people. Also, have you stopped by radio stations and other places of business related to the music business? Recording studios, music stores etc? How much PR have you done in terms of press releases and follow up? Are you tapped into the local musician market?

I mention all this, because hyping it and getting people talking about it leads to support and potential sponsors. That way, when you talk to business owners are anyone who may have the means to give to your vision financially, some of them can say "yeah...I've heard of this from somewhere...or my son told me about this the other day....sounds interesting." Often, if you start locally and tell them it's going to be an annual event, you are supporting the community. I've gone this angle before and its worked for me.

Use that as stepping stone, and then branch out from there. The main thing, is to get momentum.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The president SamAsh personally mailed over $250 in gift certificates the last two years for our annual meeting of artist event; only business to respond from 100’s requested.

1. Want would you recommend in approach to ask SamAsh for monetary support?
  2. Do you know any local/national websites, directories… that have companies actively seeking to sponsor?
  3. Companies with advertising budgets set aside specific for radio, website, and event exposure?
Hello. Good to hear from you again.

1. If you have a direct line to the president of Sam Ash, then that is a huge hurdle that you have jumped. That being said, monetary support is based upon incentive. Sponsorship, is really advertising. Unfortunately, most bigger companies only support larger events that will give them the biggest bang for their buck in terms of money spent on sponsorship (advertising). When you pitch companies, you have to look at it from their perspective. They get pitches every day for events. You have to give them the incentive to want to go with you - and that will come in form of benefits. Will you mention their name in media and print ads? Will you include banners at your function? These are just minimal things. As with any advertising, they are going to want to know their rate of return on their advertising dollars. Bigger companies have their pick of larger events. They are going to want to know why they should go with yours instead of someone like the John Lennon Songwriting Contest (just an example).

2. Anyone is game, in this area. If it is good for business, most business people will spend money, but they have to know how it will benefit them. Don't think so much online. Step offline for a second! I think that was the point I was trying to make in my previous post. If you think local - getting businesses behind your idea....by connecting with them personally, not just via a letter or email. You have to be able to set up meetings. I was in sales for years...face time is a valuable commodity. It gives it that personal touch. Most of the time, you are going to get rejected by introduction letters and letters asking for money. That is just common. You have to go the extra mile and follow up, give a reason for someone to want to see you so you can pitch them your idea. Passion is everything. If a person can see that, this can take you a long way, but they can't see it on paper. Being truthful is another area you want to make sure you are in check with. It's easy to hype things more than they are. If you make exaggerated claims, and they don't come through, then the likelihood of a company giving you more money is not good...plus they will tell their colleagues. So entice, but don't exaggerate.

3. All (well, the majority of) companies have advertising budgets.

I know you are wanting specific websites and such, but what I relate to you is 100% true. This is coming from someone who was an artist manager, a promoter and a publicist. The quality of your contacts is a valuable commodity, but you have to be able to build relationships. It's all about people.

It's hard work, no doubt, but my first point was one of synergy. You create momentum in your local market (city) through PR, legwork....visiting people, hyping what you are doing....getting people behind it. Then, start soliciting money from "local" businesses and corporations. They will be more willing to stand behind what you are doing, because you have something in common - you are serving the same community.

If you can build up what you are doing in your local area in congruency with your website, you can begin to get funded or sponsored.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX of luckCool

Edited by Hugh on 11/30/2010 at 4:27 PM EST