Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

Recipe question. How come my Vanilla Rohlicky (Czech butter

Recipe question. How come my Vanilla Rohlicky (Czech butter cookies) always come out flat after baking?
Hi again Customer, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Here are some good recipes for Vanilkove Rohlicky (vanilla crescent cookies), with several variations:

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/bohemianczechdesserts/r/vanilla-crescents.htm

http://www.food.com/recipe/vanilla-crescents-vanilkove-rohlicky-14687

http://czechmatediary.com/2007/12/08/vanilla-crescents/

http://globalcookies.blogspot.com/2007/09/czech-republic-vanilkove-rohlicky.html

As you can see, some recommend refrigerating (not freezing) the dough first, and others don't; also, the baking temperature seems to be 325 for the majority of the recipes I've read. Don't pack your flour into the measuring cup; put it in loosely and level off with a knive. Some recipes call for an egg and some don't. An egg will contribute to the rising of the cookies, but the pictures of ones without egg in the recipe seem to have risen well.

Using parchment paper to line the baking sheet and not covering the cookies and/or baking sheet with flour, should also help them rise better.

I hope your next batch comes out great! I LOVE these cookies!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback will also be greatly appreciated.

If you need any additional information please click 'Reply''. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help!
Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You rock! Just one more question. Do you think excluding the nuts would cause a problem also? (Hubby hates nuts.)
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I do think leaving out the ground nuts may be affect the consistency of the cookies, since it does add substance and weight. If Hubby doesn't like nuts, perhaps you can grind them quite fine in your food processor, so he doesn't detect the actual 'feel' of them in the cookie. If he doesn't mind a mild almond flavor, perhaps you can add a little almond extract in place of the actual nuts. Also, try a recipe that calls for the least amount of nuts possible, because as you can see, the amounts vary, somewhat.

If you've been leaving the nuts out of your recipe, that can very well be the reason they are not coming out the way they should. Perhaps try baking one batch with and one without nuts, and see if it makes a difference. Since the ground nuts are adding volume, if you leave them out, you may have to increase the flour a little bit, but at the same time, you would not want the cookies to come out too dry and brittle, so increase the butter in a relative amount. You might also want to try almond flour, if you can find it in a local store, to substitute for the amount of ground nuts in the recipe you choose.

Regards,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 11/28/2010 at 6:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Once again, you rock. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I hope I have a chance to ask you a question in the future!