Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

Hi I am searching for an agent in the USA to represent me

Customer Question

Hi

I am searching for an agent in the USA to represent me in Hollywood, i.r.o. my completed synopsis, treatment, script / screenplay and lyrics for two songs, for a movie set in LA, Mumbai and here in SA. It only requires a low to medium budget, but with it's untapped story concept, it will definitely be a great ROI, as it will appeal globally across every age, gender, race and religion barrier.

Typed in final draft, it has been critiqued by agents in the USA and copy right protected ith the WGAw and is ready for production. Can you find me an agent who will sell my work in Hollywood and then only expect payment?

Also, I clicked on your "30 day free trial" - will you be charging me for this information?

Thank you.
F.R. Person
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Hugh replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for your question. Being in the entertainment business as long as I have, I can empathize with your situation. Yes, unfortunately, it is a Catch 22.

Although I am in the music business - opportunities work very much the same way. It really comes down to who you know, and who knows you. Thus, soliciting agents as an unknown writer is going to be virtually impossible. Most industry professionals (agents, producers etc) only work with those who come recommended to them or writers/actors that have created a "buzz" within the industry. At this level, agents will find you, if you have something working that is making a splash.

My advice to you, is to keep the bigger goal in mind (the major hollywood film producer, agent etc), but at the same time, create the necessary steps involved to getting noticed. There are plenty of independent producers out there looking to be the next Spielberg. Start on an independent level. Also, perhaps you can produce the film yourself? How can you build a team around you of like minded people? Many indie films have made it to the big screen with a budget of 20K. Not easy to get angel investors, but it's not impossible either. I've seen indie film producers/writers get together, and finance a movie together with their credit cards. Not advocating this and not saying to go this route....I'm just mentioning to you based upon what I've seen done in the past. This industry is about risks. If you are not willing to risk, then why would you expect others to do so, by putting their money behind your ideas? That being said, not trying to sound harsh - just relating to you the realities of the business. I respect what you are doing, and I urge you to stay focused and not give up on what your dream.

Learn everything there is to know about your trade. Also, get connected through social networking, particularly Linkedin. Facebook is always the most talked about, however Linkedin is really starting to come into its own. If you really want to meet people who are truly connected, get a Linkedin account, and join groups related to your trade. Then, build your network. Just remember to be a bit savvy about it. Ask for help and advice, rather than just blatantly pitching your scripts.

So in a nutshell, if you truly are serious about what you are doing, getting on to the big screen should not be your main goal at this point. You need to think a bit more strategically. To me, your short term goals should be to network and begin to meet people who can potentially take you to the next step - whether that be finding investors, film producers, consultants are what have you. Once you immerse yourself into the film industry and continually network, you will find opportunities will come provided your work is good.

Thanks!

Edited by Hugh on 11/24/2010 at 3:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

My question regarding the "30 day free trial" of Just Answer, was not answered.

Regards.

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello, F.R. Person.

Hugh has provided you with some excellent suggestions.

Your question regarding the "30 day free trial" can only be addressed by our Customer Service department, and a request has been sent to them to answer your query, directly.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX good luck in your future endeavors.
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Please look at my response to Hugh's suggestions - that is, he is merely telling me what I have already learnt the hard and expensive way.

Also please look at my initial request - I need someone who can effect a successful sale of my work in Hollywood. If you do not have the experts who can do so, then please lets not waste time and I will not use your services any more - you will also not charge me as you have not fulfilled my initial request.

F R Person

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Your question is now open to all other Experts, so hopefully you will receive a satisfactory answer. If you do not, you are not obligated to accept an answer you did not find helpful, and may request a refund.

As I mentioned, your question has been referred to our Customer Service department to address the details of your 30 day free trial, and you should be receiving a reply from them, shortly.

Regards,
Cher (please do not reply to this, as it will lock out other experts from answering)