Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Experience:  20 years experience in performing, studio sessions, producing, composing, entertainment management.
22399724

Helllo, There is a major newspaper that has a blog online. The

Helllo,
There is a major newspaper that has a blog online.
The blog is open to everybody, however the "blogger", the one that controls the blog, does not want me to publish my comments. My comments don't have any obsenity or any ilegal comments. He does not give me a reason why. I suspect it is because I disagree with his views. Is it legal for him to let everybody else to comment but not me? Especially without giving me a reason?
thank you.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Hugh replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Hugh :

Sometimes, it's just a technical or server error. I've encountered this before. If it's a major newspaper, it really seems that this may be what it is. I've never seen a major newspaper omit a comment because of a certain viewpoint.

Hugh :

As Someone who runs a blog myself, I know that I screen my comments due to spam and people trying to advertise their websites instead of making legitimate comments.

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

no it is not a technical error. He specific told me he will not publish my comments.

Hugh :

Wow, so they actually told you specifically? That is unheard of. Is it a major newspaper, you say?

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

yes, it is.

Hugh :

I'm still here BTW :) About to comment

Hugh :

Most blogs have disclaimers that allow them to have complete control over content, unfortunately. Have you read the blogs disclaimer? There is undoubtedly something in the disclaimer that lets this person do this. I'm not saying it's right...I run blogs myself and let anyone comment as long as they are not spamming - that's what makes a blog good...different viewpoints.

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

yes I read the disclaimer.

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

it syas ofensive, to others or to the blogger. I did not do that, just have a different point of view.

Hugh :

Doesn't have anything in there about them having the right to monitor content and have the right to decide what can be posted?

Hugh :

Also, did he email you personally or did he say this on the blog itself?

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

nope. just won't publish attacks between people or ofensive to the blogger or ofensive to religions etc..

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

he did not e-mail me. he just stop publishing my comments. did not give a reason or anything.

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

I know it is personal because if I use a different nickname he publish my comments coming from the same address.

JACUSTOMER-ra7j9if5- :

I mean, from the same computer.

Hugh :

It's bad business, no doubt...but there is not much recourse here. Every blogger has the right to decide what comments go on their blog, since they control the content. If it is a major paper, I would suggest you contact the editor and explain to them the problem.

Hugh :

I'm not an attorney, but this is my experience, from being a published writer and blogger.

Hugh :

You can compare it to the letters to the editor section of a newspaper. Not all comments are going to get published. I know it can be about space, but letter's to the editor are hand picked in a normal newspaper as it pertains to current events and local news.

Hugh :

Thus, they control what get's published, and what doesn't.

Hugh :

If you feel that this answers your question, then please accept, however if you want another opinion, I'll opt out. Only accept if you are happy with the answer, but it's how I get credit :)

Hugh :

I have to log out for about 1/2 hour, but I'm still here and get notified regarding any activity.