Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst

I have approximately 30 old record albums (33 1/3) from the

I have approximately 30 old record albums (33 1/3) from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. How can I find out their value?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hi Customer, and welcome back to Just Answer.

It would depend on the condition and rarity of your records, whether they would be worth very much, or not so much, to a collector, for example. If the records were played a lot, they would not be in 'mint' condition, or 'near mint' condition, but might be in good condition if they don't have any scratches and don't 'skip' when played. Also, if they were stored away from heat and humidity, this would enhance their good condition. If the albums are by well known artists and many of them were produced at the time, they wouldn't be considered very rare, and there might be many of them around; however, considering the age of the albums, they may be hard to find, now, and therefore their value would be increased.

Some good ways to find out how much your records might be worth are to check out listings on eBay and Craigslist, and see what prices are being asked and are being paid (for completed auctions, of course). You can also have an experienced and certified appraiser of vintage record albums come to your home to let you know what your collection's value might be. Of course be wary of people who might tell you your collection is not worth much, but will offer to buy it from you; these people will just turn around and sell it for a profit. That's why knowing the credentials and references for anyone you might hire to appraise your collection is important.

There are books, guides and websites you can consult regarding collectible, vintage record albums and which give details on how valuable your collection may be, depending on the criteria it meets for condition and rarity, as I mentioned. For example:

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT' and Positive Feedback would be appreciated. If you need additional information or have further questions, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,

Edited by Cher on 9/12/2010 at 10:08 PM EST