Martin, Engineer
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
14666028

Summarize the distinction between film and popular cinema Provide

Summarize the distinction between film and popular cinema

Provide examples of each and explain why they fall into either category
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

For me, both are the same. if you have to put them in opposition i guess film would require more work from the spectator while popular cinema is more accessible by the majority of spectators. Nothing prevent a "film" to get so loved that it become a popular genre after some years.

Popular cinema also have the characteristic to fit the moment, being like fast food. That said, a popular film in retrospect after many year can turn out to be considered a "film". Something like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" could fit this.

If we take Spielberg. Schindler's List and Empire of the sun could be considered film, while E.T. or Indiana Jones IV could be considered popular cinema.

Some could be considered making only film. Kurosawa (even if many of his movie became popular western adaptation), Andrei Tarkovsky, Luis Buñuel, François Truffaut.

Most action movie or comedy tend to fall in the popular category.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so what quailties does it have to have to make it film or popular cimema, does it have to do with the film being a classic like Gone with the Wind, or Titanic whilr poplar ciinema would be more along the line of Avitar
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
I think quality is what will distinguish the 2. Film will be more stylized and polished. Film will have the good actor for the part, not just the most well known actor of the moment or a typecast actor used just to get faster in the story.

I think avatar was overrated but i could come up with most obvious popular cinema example. Let's bash the California governor a bit here :) Last action hero and Jingle All the Way (both surely not film).

Another particularity of film could be the attention to authenticity and detail first, whatever happen to the budget. Also a film is not made to make money, it's made for the sake of the art and then the better if it make money. If Apocalypse Now was made to be a popular movie, it would have cost not that much than Josie and the Pussycats.

Film itself could be split in categories, like film d'auteur, art house movie, experimental movie.

The complicated part of the question is that some film are both commercial and film at the same time. I consider the first Robocop to fit that dual status while the sequel are not.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: Fan of Cinema and Video Games