Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

I need a formula for stage milk, to be used in a play production

I need a formula for "stage milk," to be used in a play production where it would be very unwise to use real milk as the residue (and there is always residue) will spoil and smell up the stage for weeks. It also must be easy to remove from clothing.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and welcome back to JustAnswer!

How will the 'milk' be used?

Will it be thrown at someone, or spilled on something/someone?

Thanks for all your additional detail.

Cher

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
From the play The Diary of Anne Frank, Anne in her exuberance accidently spill her milk on Mrs. Van Darn fur coat and they try to blot it up immediately as part of the blocking, but it gets on the stage floor. Moreover the fur coat is in fact a real rabbit skin fur coat (off white, but still real fur not fake.) The chalk suspension comes clean, but again it tends to separate almost immediately. As the action is a single set with constant stage presense except for one intermission, there is no time to remove the coat or anything it is spilled on to clean it off stage. Adding to the problem the stage is used for church services the following mornings and they would not like the smell of rancid milk to linger over the altar.
Thanks
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I just researched this for you, while awaiting your reply, and now knowing the fake milk will be spilled on a real fur coat, plus considering the church services, I don't know how these will work, but they're all worth a try:

Very watered down white Elmer's glue (water/glue mixtures are used to simulate milk in dry cereal TV commercials and some print ads). While it will be a little 'sticky', it's non-toxic, washable, and if the clothes are pre-soaked and/or washed right away, there should be no staining. (I actually don't know how you will get anything out of a real fur coat)

Coffeemate powder, mixed with water....it's non-dairy, but will make a white emulsion. Might have a slight smell to it, but shouldn't be too hard to eradicate.

White tempera paint (non-toxic [finger] paints used by children) mixed with water might work, and it should wash out of the actors' clothes easily, if they are washed immediately. Also, if clothing is sprayed with Scotchguard or other 'stain resistant' treatment proper for clothing, before, it shouldn't 'stick' too much.

Instant mashed potato flakes, very watered down--unless this will look to 'piecey', but you can run it through a blender/food processor. However, potatoes are very starchy (gluey?) Speaking of 'starch', you could also try powdered white starch, very watered down.

I think you'll find this interesting: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeFood

I wish you much good luck, and please let me know how everything goes and what you end up using.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 4/28/2010 at 2:23 AM EST
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your accept and most generous bonus.

I just had another thought.....perhaps you could use a glass of 'fake milk', like a solid white impermeable/permanent substance half filling the glass, then add a little plain water on top, and have THIS spill on the coat. It will appear that the milk is spilling, but only the water will make the coat look 'wet'---unless your audience is so close to the stage, they will see the substance is clear or nothing is missing from the glass, etc. You could even use a colored or opaque glass, mug, etc., and allude to the milk in it, then spill the water......

Cher

Edited by Cher on 4/28/2010 at 2:33 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Need the dramatic effect of white on the surroundings of the coat, ie. a sofa, the floor, the blocking calls for Anne and her sister Margot to frantically try to mop up the spill to try and calm down the greatly offended Mrs. Van Dann. I have seen a magican's prop that works a little like you propose, allows for endless emptying of a glass, as the liquid is trapped between two layers of the glass. Thanks for the follow-up. Maurice Cecchini
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, Maurice, and you're most welcome.

Thanks for your additional info; now I understand that it's required to 'see' the whiteness of the milk, when it spills. Yes, I've seen those magician's props, as well, but that's just for the 'disappearing milk' effect, so you won't be spilling anything white....

Let me know how things work out? Thanks!

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought I closed this, your help was perfect and I believe I gave a rating accordingly. Don't have anything at the moment, but we are starting the run up for "Rocky Horror" so I likely will have something soon. Maurice

Expert:  Cher replied 3 years ago.
Hi again Maurice, and Happy New Year! Smile

I hope all is well with you!

Yes, this WAS closed after you accepted my answer and you did leave positive feedback for me (thank you!), so I don't know why you might have received any email or request for action on this question, at this time. I will close it manually now, and that should take care of it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please do request me by name, in the future, by beginning your question with 'FOR CHER ONLY', and I will be happy to help!

Best regards,
Cher (no information is required, I'm simply sending this as an 'Information Request' because it is not an 'Answer')

Edited by Cher on 1/6/2011 at 8:06 PM EST