Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

Hi, Does anyone know what song does the following lyrics

Does anyone know what song does the following lyrics come from?

Comes the Shadow falling with this promised sound. Who can always take granted tender for love neath to here.

I am the smile of your deep eyes. I see paradise arising once more where to rest my heart. My beating heart expresses I love you always and show all the days be happiness, eternity throughout.

Many thanks,

Zhichao
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Zhichao.

Can you supply a few more details, which will enable me to research this for you:

Where do these lyrics/song come from?

Do you know if the artist is a male or female and is it a recent song or an older song?

It sounds more like a poem than a song, do you think it was a poem that was 'adapted' into a song?

Would it be a religious song, rock lyrics, etc.?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a question posed to me by a friend who thinks this is supposed to be part of the English song lyrics of Toselli's

Serenade Rimpianto

and he wants to have the whole lyrics. But I have checked with all the available English versions of the lyrics and find no results (including those of Elkin's and Carl Sigman's, and a third version with no identity of the authorship of the English words, see below).

Like a golden dream

it is carved in my heart.

The memory still of that love

that no longer exists.

It was the first viewof that sweet smile that made us happy,with its brilliance, our youth. But it was very brief in me the sweetness of which truly vanishedthis beautiful golden dream leaving sorrow within me.

Dark is the future always more sad

the days of youth passed

will be regretted

I remain alone,

such bitter regret and brief in my heart!

O ray of sun,

On my path alas no longer shines. No longer, no longer.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I have found this page (which you may have seen), which includes the above lyrics in both Italian and English. It states that the lyrics were translated from the Italian into English by Margaret Smythe.

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=15073

Also, this:

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/s/serenadecomeback.shtml

There don't seem to be any additional lyrics to the song.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience: TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Cher,

Many thanks for trying and I will hit the "accept answer". However, this is not exactly I am looking for and know it is difficul. I have already got these three English versions but just can't figure out which song the following words are from, as part of or just the whole.

Comes the Shadow falling with this promised sound.

Who can always take granted tender for love neath to here.

I am the smile of your deep eyes.

I see paradise arising once more where to rest my heart.

My beating heart expresses I love you always and show all the days be happiness, eternity throughout.

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Zhichao, and you're most welcome; thanks very much for your accept and your reply.

The lyrics you provided sound like they are a translation from Italian or another language, so they would not be found on traditional lyrics sites. It's possible that this is a translation of another piece by Toselli, but from my research, I can only find the one, "Serenata Rimpianto" on lyrics sites and sheet music sites, and no other translated lyrics for Toselli music/songs. It very well could be from a song by someone else, then translated into English, so that's what makes it so difficult to find.

Can your friend provide anymore information, re: where the lyrics are from, if not from a Toselli piece?

Best wishes,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 4/13/2010 at 7:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Cher,

My friend said he heard this song in and around 1945ish, that is in the 1940s. It is originally from Italian and what he heard was in English.

After so many years, his memory could fail him, but he said that he is confident that at least the main meaning is correct.

I have checked Richard Tauber's recording at time and found that the song sung by him was based on R.H. Elkin. I have also checked with Sarah Vaughan's "My Tormented Heart", which is an adaption of Toselli's Serenata Rimpoiaton. But it is not the one I am looking for.

I am also trying to find the lyrics to Phil Brito's "Years and Years Ago", but just can't find it.

Many thanks for replying me.

Zhichao

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Dear Zhichao,

Thanks for your reply with more details. I will try to research these other pieces you mentioned, and get back to you to let you know if I find any information on them.

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Cher,

Many thanks for this. Another possibility is Gloria Swanson's "Serenade" (in Trespasser). It is in Youtobe, but the quality of sound is poor, which makes not able to listen and write it down.

Best regards,

Zhichao

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Dear Zhichao,

You're most welcome; thanks for the info re: Gloria Swanson's 'Serenade'. I'll check it out.

Best regards,
Cher