Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Experience:  20 years experience in performing, studio sessions, producing, composing, entertainment management.

How do I open a bank account in my stage name Do I need a

Customer Question

How do I open a bank account in my stage name? Do I need a business liscense?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Hugh replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The main issue here, is that your name has to be linked to your social security number. Thus, you have two choices. You can legally change your name to your stage name (not worth doing, in my opinion), or use your stage name as a dba (doing business as) and obtain a business license. When you do this, you can also apply for a tax ID number depending on your business structure.

Thanks. If you like the answer, please accept. I will be happy to answer follow up questions pertaining to this question.

Best Regards!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I reside in CA and work in entertainment all over. Where do I go to obtain a business liscense?
Expert:  Hugh replied 6 years ago.
Typically, at your local courthouse or municipal building. It's different depending on where you live. Obtain the license in the city in which you reside.