Tyler
Tyler, Professional Musician
Experience:  B.M, M.M. Skilled in music theory, history and ear training.

Question about Scams and Psychics.

I am looking to go to a psychic, but I am wondering if there are things to look for before you choose one. And, if I seek one online or on phone is there way to ensure my credit card information is safe and I am not being scamed?

Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Tyler replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question! There are some things you must first consider. First, how "correct" a psychic is really is determined by the person who uses their services. It is impossible to know if a psychic has legitimate powers as there is no scientific basis for such a thing. Second, you've probably seen a lot of TV commercials or websites for psychic services online or via phone. If you read the fine print and disclaimers you'll almost always see the phrase "for entertainment purposes only". These companies are therefore telling you that the information you'll receive from one of their psychics is only for entertainment and not to actually be relied upon. This normally releases them from liability when one of their psychics tells someone to do something drastic and they get sued for it.

It is always somewhat of a gamble submitting your credit card information online for anything. Most websites who accept payments use encryption to protect information. In the bottom of your browser right of your browser you should see a padlock symbol if this is the case. You can click on it to see the level of encryption on the site. Before you sign up for anything be sure to read the terms of service as well as any fine print. Take note of how you are charged, if it is incrementally (by minute, or some other measurement) or by day or month. See if there is an automatic renewal as well so you don't get any surprises. If you choose to call a psychic hot line you may be asked for a credit card number or any services may be billed to your telephone account. These are normally per minute charges that can escalate quickly.

To answer your original question--are you being scammed? Well, keeping in mind that psychics are entertainers, you are, in a sense always going to be scammed. You can't expect to call a psychic and get accurate information. There may be some true, legitimate psychics around, like the ones you see helping to solve crimes on TV, but you won't find those folks on a 1-800 number.

I hope this answer is helpful to you! If so, please press "Accept" so I can get credit for my work. If you need further help or clarification, please press "Reply" so I can continue working with you. Positive feedback is greatly appreciated! Best of luck!

Tyler, Professional Musician
Experience: B.M, M.M. Skilled in music theory, history and ear training.