Hugh
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Experience:  20 years experience in performing, studio sessions, producing, composing, entertainment management.
22399724

how can i get a celebrity to use my product in their video

Customer Question

how can i get a celebrity to use my product in their video?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Hugh replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure if you are referring to what they call "product placement" in movies or if you are actually wanting to get a celebrity to use (endorse) a product. When you say "video," are you referring to MTV?

Anytime you see a product in a movie, much of the time it is "arranged." A company like Ford may give a production company a car in exchange for obvious advertising. Sometimes a company may actually pay a television network to "place" their product within a show.

Now if you want a celebrity to actually use your product, the best thing to do is to arrange to get him or her your product for free. If it is unique, they may bite and like it so much that they use it in a video (again, not sure what you mean by this...music?) or they may endorse it. This is what happened to Total Gym and Chuck Norris. The company who developed Total Gym gave it to Norris to test out. He loved it so much, he ended up endorsing it.

It really depends on the product. Celebrities are typically lavished with free products all the time by companies who want them to use them, and hopefully get an endorsement from them (for instance, clothing or cars).

You can find celebrities through their talent agencies. That is usually the best place. If it is a musician, best bet is through their manager. It's not often easy - because they are gatekeepers. They protect their clients.

If you are looking to "hire" a celebrity, then they are normally very receptive (for obvious reasons....money!). Take someone like Catherine Zeta Jones. She was paid 20 million for being T-Mobiles spokesperson! I know that is large scale, however "celebrity" is a relative term. A celebrity could be someone like a local TV personality. It just depends on your objectives.
Hugh, Composer, Producer and Performer
Experience: 20 years experience in performing, studio sessions, producing, composing, entertainment management.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i meant music stars and i will like them to use my drinks (wine) in their video...
Expert:  Hugh replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Gotcha.

If you are dealing with music stars, unless you have a way of getting on "the inside," (a friend of a friend...you know the deal), you will have to deal directly with the artists manager. You can typically find their management company on back of the artists CD's.

But the same stands in terms of what I said in my prior post. It's not easy dealing with manager's unless they have a compelling reason to deal with you (typically monetary, as they get a cut of the artists income). You can always send the manager or the management company a bottle. It takes savvy to get it to work. You need to be personable and to the point, without any BS. Without any true inside connection, it can be difficult, but it is possible. When I started out with my management company in the middle 90's, I had to develop relationships within the industry. It wasn't easy, but I was able to make connections through persistence and most of all, being genuine. Managers or anyone in the music biz are just incredibly busy, as it is a 24/7 job. It's nothing personal if they don't give you the time of day at first. Just be persistent.

Edited by Hugh on 10/8/2009 at 11:56 AM EST