Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Entertainer
Experience:  I was a magazine editor.
19568076

I work at a theme park in Washington State. We are planning

I work at a theme park in Washington State. We are planning our annual Halloween Event and I would like to play the movie, Winnie the Pooh's Halloween, for the the little kids. I was informed that I could not do to copy rights. Is there somewherer where a person can go to find out if a certain title is under copy right and if there is a fee to pay so you can use it? How exactly can and cant a movie be used? People will pay a fee to get into the park. They will be able to go to a couple of haunted houses and ride over 60 rides. I just want to replay this movie in the kiddie section all night. No one pays to just come and see the movie.
Thank you
Jan
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 7 years ago.
Most likely, the movie is under a copyright. You cannot use a work that is copyrighted without getting the rights unless you are using it under fair. This means that you are using it for an educational or scholarly purpose. Here, that does not seem to be the case.

Copyrights, however, do expire. For a single author, it is usually 75 years after death and for a company, it is 120 years after the date of creation. Here, however, I don't think that will help either.

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

The best thing to do is to contact the company who has the rights to the movie. The information may be on the movie sleeve. I would look them up online and contact them via email or phone. They will direct you to the right person. After you explain what your use would be, they will probably give you a price for the use.
Teacher Editor, Entertainer
Experience: I was a magazine editor.