How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Martin Your Own Question
Martin, Engineer
Category: Entertainment
Satisfied Customers: 4873
Experience:  Fan of Cinema and Video Games
Type Your Entertainment Question Here...
Martin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In filmmaking, what do you call on-screen transition, usuall

Customer Question

In filmmaking, what do you call on-screen transition, usually used for retrospecting, when character starts talking or thinking about past event the screen gets blurry and a jingling sound plays, then screen goes back to focus showing the scene from the past?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello global,

This type of film transitioning is called "Dissolve". It is the slow fading out of one shot and the gradual fading in of the next shot. At one point both images may appear superimposed. It suggests the slow passage of time.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you global.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's not it. There is a specific term used for this particular retrospective transition. It includes music and blurring the picture, often by introducing wave effect.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again global,

You may simply be thinking of the Blur Technique. The Blue is used in conjunction with other techniques such as the Dissolve, the Fade In and Fade Out and the Wipe.

Take a look at the following explanation of this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That part I know. Blur is just a visiual tool which together with sound and light creates the retrospective passage. What I'm after is a phrase that describe this technique. If you give editor instructions: blur, you don't get the desifed effect unless you write a whole description. There is a name for the technique. In other example when editor is told "iris fade to black, forcus on the gun" he or she will know exactly what to do without writing a half a page explanation.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hi global,

Let me have your question switched to our Entertainment forum to see if someone there maybe has the answer you are looking for.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer As far as i know that technique is only called a "flashback". It can use many effect to differentiate it from a simple cut. The effect you mention are usually called "wavy" or "watery" effect and where used lot more in the 80's and before. They usually came with a sound effect, sometime with echo and harp.

Many movie don't use them at all now, for example Pulp Fiction is made of non chronological scenes that are cut just like normal scenes.