Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst
1470369

Did Louis Prima ever sing It dont mean a thing if it aint

Did Louis Prima ever sing "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi,Customer and thanks for your question.

After extensive research, I cannot find that Louis Prima ever sang or recorded this song.

Here is some biographical and 'discography' info on Louis Prima's career:

http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Prima,_Louis/Biography/

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Well, the song was used in a TV commercial, maybe a couple years ago. I think the commercial was about some kind of vehicle and how it was easy to parallel park. I really liked that version and would love to know who did it. It sounded less "gravely" than Louis Armstrong. None of the singers I've listened to sound quite right. Can you figure out who it was?

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I'll research this for you, and let you know what I find.

It would help if you could remember which company made the vehicle, and the year you saw the commercial was about 2006- 2007?

Have you listened to all singers who have ever recorded this song?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I wish I could remember more about the commercial, but that's all I've got. The year, maybe 05 - 07. I've listened to every singer I could find on the internet.
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

I'm researching this for you, and will get back to you as soon as I find something; it might not be until tomorrow.

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, thanks!
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
No problem! : )

Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again,

OK, this is what I've found so far: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RepurposedPopSong

I think, if it were to be found online, this would be the place. The song is only referenced for two TV commercials, here:

"Glad advertised its plastic wrap for a couple of years using Billy Strayhorn's "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" rewritten to "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Cling)".

More recently (2007), Grolsch beer has licensed "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" for use in its ads for a lager sold in beugel bottles that have a swing-top cap."

I've been viewing YouTube videos with this song, and do you think it's possible XXXXX XXXXX is the one you're thinking of, not Louis Prima?

Cher
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yeah, I know about all of the other commercials and I already listened to Tony Bennet. I'm sure you're right that Louis Prima didn't sing it, but Tony Bennet didn't sound right either. I think the car commercial was only on for a short period of time so, I only saw it a few times. Oh well, looks like it's gonna stay a mystery. Thanks for trying so hard, though. Smile

-Angie

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hi again, Angie, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

I hate mysteries, so I'm going to keep trying, and if/when I find any new information I will certainly let you know. : )

Cher