Ask Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor Yo...

Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor
Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor, Entertainment Industry Executive
Experience:  Entertainment Consultant 25 yrs. Record labels. PR firm. Published Writer. World Traveler.
1042561

A small record label wants to put my recording onto a compilation

A small record label wants to put my recording onto a compilation CD. What kind of agreement should be drawn up between myself and the record label for use of my recording.
Has the record label offered you a contract?

Chase
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, Just verbal. I am actually assisting in the marketing and promotion of the project.
You'll want an agreement that stipulates the terms of the agreement, payment, length of time, etc. You should ask them to supply you with an agreement, and then you have your lawyer look over the agreement to be sure it's fair. If they want to use the recording, they shouldn't have a problem providing a contract. If they do, I would be concerned.

There's nothing wrong with an artist assisting in the promotion of the product, as long as they are not depending on you to do all of the work on your own.

Chase
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are several kinds of song writer/label agreements such as Mechanical License, publishing agreement, co-publishing etc. My question is "Which Agreement" do I need or should be supplied by the label?
A mechanical license is when you want to record something that was previously done by someone else. Publishing is when you want to give someone the rights to part of what you wrote. I believe what you'll need is a distribution agreement. If the recording belongs solely to you, and they want to distribute it, then thats what you're looking for.

Chase