Ask Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor Yo...

Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor
Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor, Entertainment Industry Executive
Experience:  Entertainment Consultant 25 yrs. Record labels. PR firm. Published Writer. World Traveler.
1042561

Copyright Laws

Customer Question

Is it legal to write a script for and get a script copyrighten for a music video using an entertainers song for the sole purpose of enabling that entertainer to use it in the future? Or does that entertainer have sole legal rights only?

Thanks,
Mary M
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor replied 6 years ago.
To be clear, are you saying that you want to write a script for a particular artists song to be used as a music video?

Is it your intention to submit it to that artist, and thats why you want to copyright it?

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, the music video will only be for him (the artist who wrote, sung, and produced it) to use once funding is secure.

I wasn't sure if anyone could write it or if this is something only the artist is allowed to delegate himself.

Thanks,

M&M

You can write anything about anything, but if you use his song within writing the story, you will breach the copyright. Only he can use the song itself. For example, when you write it, it's simply a story, if he doesn't use it, someone else can, or you can publish it. Of course it is the artists choice which story/storyboard he/she will use when the time comes, but there's nothing wrong with having something prepared to present to them when the funding opens. Consider presenting a visual storyboard as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Just to clarify a bit, are you saying to write only the story but not use his song along with it?

I have set it up "script style" on paper only. Is this what you mean? And I could do the story boards you mentioned also and then submit to him for a decision. I appreciate the advice on the story boards.

Thanks,

M&M

You can write the story with his song in it, but you wouldnt be able to copyright it like that, you would only be able to copyright the parts that don't have his song in it.

Script style is one way. If you can draw or know someone who can draw, sometimes it's good to present some of the scenes in that format as well.

Chase
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh, so I can't use his lyrics in the actual script to show which scenes go with which lyrics right?

Wow, ok so then would I need to present it to him so he will understand what goes with what as well as show the storyboards? I cannot draw! Yikes!

Thanks,

M&M

what I'm saying is, if you want to copyright the script, you cannot include his lyrics.

If you are presenting it to him, of course you will need to include the lyrics to show him the story and how it fits with his song. You just cannot include his lyrics in your copyright.

It's not necessary to include a story board, just a suggestion in case you could draw or knew someone who could :)

Let me know if you want to talk more.

Chase
Experience: Entertainment Consultant 25 yrs. Record labels. PR firm. Published Writer. World Traveler.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok. Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. If I have questions in future, is it possible to refer them to you through the website?

Thanks again,

M&M

Of course, you can simply ask to spek to Ms Chase in the subject line of your question. I am at your service. :)

Chase