Steve Gardner
Steve Gardner , Musician
Experience:  80's music trivia nut. Classically trained pianist - 35 years at it.
329447

Lets say a 4 person golf teams members have a 10, 13, 28,

Customer Question

Let's say a 4 person golf team's members have a 10, 13, 28, and 20 handicap. How do a figure out their team handicap?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Steve Gardner replied 8 years ago.
How is the play determined? Best ball? Closest to pin? Do all 4 play all holes and add scores together?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Actually, it is a customer tournament, with a scramble format, where each person tees off, and picks the best shot and hits from there next, etc.

My issue is that I want to have three "flights" or groups, A, B, & C, with 12 teams in each flight. That way, even the teams with a much higher "handicap" coming in will still have a chance for a prize. They will only be competing against teams within their flight of 12. I want to use the handicap question to rank teams 1 through 36 so I can put them in the correct flight, and I was not sure if a simple average of the four #s was the best way.

There is no official set of rules for this type of handicapping - and as you probably know, there is extensive rulings and calculations for calculating golf handicaps on a given course.

Keep in mind that with a best shot type tourney, the lower handicap is more likely to have his ball played than his foursome buddy with a high handicap. Because of that, what I would do is take the top 3 handicaps from each foursome and average them. In other words, don't count the 'worst' golfer in each foursome.

That is what I would probably do.

Any thoughts?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have been of assistance, please click the ACCEPT button on the right. It is the ONLY way I get paid for my work.

Please also consider a BONUS. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Someone asked "Justanswer.com" the question of how to do a team handicap, and an answer came for a two person handicap. I Googled team handicap and that question came up, which is how I ended up asking the question and plopping down some cash. That is what I was looking for - a mathematical example for how to take 4 people's handicaps and come up with a team handicap. I still don't have that, so (no offense) your answer doesn't help me, so I can't hit accept. I am no further along that when I started. Forget what I said about ranking teams 1-36. I just want to know if there's a way to do the same thing for a four man team and came up with a handicap as someone did with a two man team.