Ask Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor Yo...

Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor
Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor , Entertainment Industry Executive
Experience:  Entertainment Consultant 25 yrs. Record labels. PR firm. Published Writer. World Traveler.
1042561

Can you put a top 40 song on a your own home movie

We're making a Happy Birthday movie on our home computer using songs from our cd's along with home made pictures and videos to be given to our friend and shown only in our or their home?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ms Chase - JA Entertainment Mentor replied 8 years ago.
Hello Hedge,

Technically you're not supposed to do it, but millions of people do it all the time. The fact that you're not selling it, makes it a little better, but I'll explain to you why you're not supposed to do it. The artist makes the cd, you purchase the cd. You can technically make as many copies as you want for yourself, since you purchased the rights, but when you make a copy and either give it away or sell it, you are infringing on the artists copyrights. When you put the music on a dvd, you are using their music without permission, and possibly using it in a way that they might not want it used. With that being said, people make home movies, birthday videos, wedding videos, etc all the time. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions

Chase