SDeMelle
SDeMelle, Entertainment Fan
Experience:  I know everything there is to know about the entertainment industry and everyone in it.

Once I get a mechanical license to record a song

Once I get a mechanical license to record a song what other rights do I have.
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  SDeMelle replied 6 years ago.
A mechanical license grants the rights to reproduce and distribute copyrighted musical compositions (songs), including uses on phonorecords (i.e. CDs, records, tapes, and certain digital configurations). The Harry Fox Agency was established to license, collect, and distribute royalties on behalf of U.S. publishers that own and/or control the rights to musical compositions. Simply stated, if you want to record and distribute a song that was written by someone else, or if your business requires the distribution of music that was written by others, you must obtain a mechanical license.

Mechanical rights should not be confused with "master rights" that are granted by a record company in order to use an existing recording, or with "performance rights" that are granted by publishers or societies for the public performance of a song. Depending on the use, one may also have to obtain these rights in addition to the mechanical license.
SDeMelle, Entertainment Fan
Experience: I know everything there is to know about the entertainment industry and everyone in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already have the mechanical license and I know what it entails. My question is what other rights do I have? For example: Can I accept an award for my rendition of the song?
Expert:  SDeMelle replied 6 years ago.
Are you asking what other rights you have UNDER the mechanical license or what other licenses are available to you now that you've obtained a mechanical license?

So far I haven't found any information saying that you cannot accept an award for your rendition of a song after you've been granted a mechanical license.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I am asking both. It
Expert:  SDeMelle replied 6 years ago.
I spoke with Sindee Levin at the American Mechanical Rights Agency and she said that with your Mechanical rights license you have the rights you already know of (recording and distributing), and general artist's rights... So basically you would be able to win an award for your rendition of the song if it was under and artist's category but not a publisher's category or anything like that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can I put it on my myspace page? Answer this and you've got my $9.
Expert:  SDeMelle replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you can put it on your myspace. You have all artist rights with that license.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  SDeMelle replied 6 years ago.
You're welcome, and good luck!