Cher
Cher, MENTOR/ENTERTAINMENT
Experience:  TV, Movies, Music, Parties, Entertainment Industry Analyst

In the mid-1960s, I first saw an old movie on TV, the ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In the mid-1960's, I first saw an old movie on TV, the title of which I can't remember, in which LJ Cobb played the role of a washed-up doctor, begging for money from a stranger, in India, I believe. When the stranger called him a bum, Cobb replied and began to cry by saying, "BUM? Johns Hopkins Medical School, Chief of Surgery, etc., etc.", as he recalled his lamented career and life. The stranger was shocked to hear it all because he was dirty, unshaven,
homeless and so far from home.

It was a very minor sequence of an old movie that pre-dated the time and even television. I have seen that same minor sequence of that same old movie quite a few times over the years, but never the whole film, which is why I can't remember the title of it. My now ex-wife was THE movie authority told me that it could have been a different actor who you think was Lee J. Cobb because actors, who vaguely resemble one another, are often mistaken by the viewer audience. They assume it's "so-and-so" when it's really someone else. Hollywood knows the problem of how actors could be credited for films that aren't their own, so it's been established for years. I still believe it was LJ Cobb because the sound of his voice, his looks and his cry is unmistakeable. I compared the actor to known roles of Cobb, such that of as Kramden in the old Flint Movies, who is so well-remembered for yelling, "Flint's alive!, Did ya hear that?, FLINT'S ALIVE!, FLINT'S ALIVE!!!" and they matched perfectly, so I'm still sure it was Cobb after all.

From 1999 to about 2001, we went through all the databanks, including the IMDB, then on to movie historians and drove them all to drinking, early retirement and suicide, but no luck. We went up to trying to contact his relatives, former co-stars and/or agents, but stopped at that point.

I want to know how his role went in that old movie and how it ended. This is my advice: Don't go through all the lesser-known sources of research because we tried them for more than just two years, including through historians and librarians, so go right up to either contacting his relatives, etc. or sources that aren't open to the public.

It's a tough trivia question to answer because it might have been a cameo appearance of his, in which case it wouldn't rank high enough to be included with all of his starring roles movies and TV show of the 1960's.
Expert:  Jan replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dr. Kern,

You've sparked my curiosity so I'll try to solve this mystery. Since Johns Hopkins School of Medicine was founded in 1893, we can assume that the setting of the movie/time period was between 1893 and 1950? Can you think of any other actors that you saw in the movie (or describe what any other actors looked like)? I'll wait to hear from you.

Jan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can't reply via the JA return link site, not responding normally, so I have to reply in the usual way for email exchanges, which is herein.

The other actor in that sequence was not significant and I don't remember. I have seen that same minor sequence of that same unknown movie quite a few times over the years, so I am sure it was Lee J. Cobb after all. I compared the sound of his voice, his laugh, his cry and his proportions, height, shape, etc. to known roles of Cobb and they matched perfectly well. I am just as sure as can be and driving everyone crazy as usual.

I met Lee J. Cobb once when I was a high school student. It was in 1975 or 6 and he was in New York making a movie or something for TV, but that was him and he is the same as I remember him from the movies.

Don't start at the bottom of the ladder in searching for these answers, go right to the very top because we had experience and answers such as, "Did you try imdb.com," is ridiculous. We went all the way to the point of contacting his family or close friends & co-stars, but never did because we had no way of asking for them.

I believe it is a touchy subject, so best to be careful when asking and know whom you're asking before venturing any further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How is the search going?

It's a tough one, I know, because I have enough experience with it to know that for sure.

We first began in 1998, then quit in 2000 when divorce was warming up, so I re-started, off and on, about a year ago.

Expert:  Jan replied 6 years ago.
I'm still working on it...it's definitely a challenge!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jan, it took me a while to get back to you. I use Internet Explorer 7 and MSN Explorer for email client, but I have had problems replying to you that I never had before. Do you have any internet requirements that I should know? I already have you in my Trusted Sites, as I do will all log-in sites, and the Cookies site, so what else should I do?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Lori, Yes! I still need assistance. I want an answer to that trivia question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Jan, how are you doing on the Lee J. Cobb question?

It is a trivia question that no one has solved, so go right to the top of your search pyramid and don't hesitate to give it to top specialists within your field because it is a toughy.

Keep me posted every day or so, please.

-Dr. Kern

Expert:  Jan replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Kern,

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have had some kind of mutant flu bug the last 3 days and have not even been online. I saw from other sites similar to JustAnswer that someone had thought that it wasn't Lee J. Cobb but someone else. I have found no evidence of either LJ Cobb or anyone else in a movie such as you described. It has definitely dumbfounded me so I'm going to opt out and let someone else give this a shot. Have a nice weekend.

Jan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Personal problems are not business, so please keep them out.

Yes, it could be an actor who resembles and is therefore mistaken for LJ Cobb, so tell me who, the movie title and his role.

-RK

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Update, Saturday, Jan. 19:

An expert amongst experts would be a good starting point, so please do and tell them I already paid the full $45 for this question. When I first posed it to you last weekend, I was charged, but later on noticed I never received the answer. Because it was late Sunday night, I thought I would find it in my Inbox the next day, so I just signed-off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Did you make any progress yet? If not, then don't waste and go right up to where my ex-wife and I left off, which is to contact his relatives or former co-stars.

I believe they're the only ones who will know.

-Dr. Kern

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will increase the payment to the maximum if you promise to get me the answer to it.

It is a nagging trivia question that has driven movie historians drinking, early retirement and, some, even suicide, now I'm begging for help from a stranger.

-Dr. Kern

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you're not going to answer my question, say so and I'll go to someone else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I didn't know my balance was zero, so I deposited $50 into it.

If people forget, especially new users, you can remind us once. I am new to this website and very anxious about that nagging trivia question, so I could have used it.

-RK

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you still working on it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't know this website and the question is a nagging one, so I didn't see the selection, "Do you want to ReList this question?" I just did and here we are again, back in Business!

Frustrated, I was going to close down my account because I didn't know why the experts weren't replying to me.

I told you, this question is old and a toughie, so it will drive you crazy unless you start at the top as I suggested.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I don't get a reply from you experts today, I'm closing down my account.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do what I said and don't waste time with the ordinary procedure of finding the answer, and go right to where we left off, which was/is to contact Cobb's family or former co-stars. I believe it was a cameo appearance of his, so it wouldn't be included with his starring roles.

A cameo appearance is a very minor appearance in a movie or show and that's how I remember it. The sequence had very little to do with the movie, but, because I've seen it quite a few times over the years, I'm still sure it was LJ Cobb after all. Also, I met Cobb once in 1976 when I was a high school kid and he was in NYC.

Any more questions?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't heard from you all in too long, so I'm closing the question.