Barrett
Barrett , Professional Researcher
Experience:  All genres TV, movies, music & reading fanatic with tons of info I would love to share with you!
5700459

My recipe for barbeque sauce came out too sweet. What ...

My recipe for barbeque sauce came out too sweet. What ingredient can i put in it to make it less sweet? How can i take away the sweet taste?
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Barrett replied 8 years ago.
You can use vinegar or a mixture of vinegar and water to reduce the sweetness.

If you are using the sauce on pork, apple cidar vinegar would work nicely.

Other options:

- Beer
- Sugar water
- lemon juice w/ a touch of lemon zest
- Chipotle Sauce if you have it on hand and if you like it a touch spicy
- Cyenne pepper if you like spicy

Some of these can be used in accompanyment with each other for a nice unique flavor, it all depends on what suits your taste. :)

I hope this helps and your barbecue sauce turns out delicious!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Barrett's Post: I am using the sauce in a sweet/sour sauce for cocktail meatballs. How much vinegar/water solution should I use?
Expert:  Barrett replied 8 years ago.
Thats going to depend on how much too sweet it is already and the quantity of sauce you are working with. I would start off adding very small amounts and taste it after each addition.

You can always add more if needed, but since you can't take away what you put in you don't want to go too far by adding too much.

Keep in mind too that with the meatballs being more than likely simmered in the sauce, that too will alter the taste a bit.

Another option that I thought of since my original reply is the use of Chili Sauce (if you have any). There is a very popular recipe sometimes called Grape Jelly Meatballs that uses Grape Jelly and Chili Sauce.. it makes a sauce that tastes a lot like a sweet & sour sauce. So chili sauce would be another viable option as well.

Good luck with it, and remember.. whatever option you go with, just do it in really small quantities, taste it, then go from there to suit your taste.