The Scribbler
The Scribbler, Lamentably Modest Publications
Experience:  Short Story Writer

Famous Actress from early Broadway

Customer Question

I was recently watching a PBS history of Broadway. There was one actress that everyone referred to, but I can't remember her name. She only did one film audition, all her work was on stage. The people kept referring to her incredible talent, how, when they could barely afford food, they'd go and see her perform again and again They spoke of her with awe and respect... but I can't research her because I can't remember her name!!!
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  The Scribbler replied 9 years ago.
Old time actresses. Hmm. Not much to go on. Have you any more details? If not, here are some wild guesses:

Mae West?

Theda Bara?

Mary Pickford?

Greta Garbo?

Gloria Swanson?

Katherine Hepburn?

Ethel Barrymore?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Scribbler's Post: First, she only did stage work so she was predominently known to the acting community of Broadway.

Second, all of the actresses you named are pretty much the ABC's of film/theatre history.

Thanks for trying, I guess.
I will Opt Out, perhaps another Expert will know who you are thinking of.
Experience: Short Story Writer
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to The Scribbler's Post: Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Tracy replied 9 years ago.

I found a PBS documentary about Broadway, and it lists actors and actress' who were mentioned in the show. Click HERE to view the list and to read more about each of them.

If this isn't it, how about Sarah Bernhardt?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have already spent over two hours searching the PBS website. The list doesn't include all of the people mentioned in the documentary.

The reason I'm asking for help is because she isn't well-known, like all the actresses you've suggested so far.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am also a theatre person, so when I heard such admiration given to an actress that, in seven years of formal theatre education and almost (cough!) 30 years of acting experience, I had never heard of - I had to know more! I spent hours looking through the PBS info, then spent another few hours with it after you sent me the link. All of the names you suggested were pretty pedestrian, and didn't fit what details I had to give to you.

You should have opted out when you said you would, because now I feel obligated to pay you even though this has been a completely fruitless and frustrating effort. I'm not thrilled about paying for something I didn't even get close to, especially when I did all the work. It's not the $9, it's the principle. In the world of internet access, and research at our fingertips - I only asked an 'expert' when I could find absolutely nothing on my own.

But I suppose, in this case, I will keep the principle and let you have the $9.