The Scribbler
The Scribbler , Lamentably Modest Publications
Experience:  Short Story Writer
2837397

I REQUIRE A PATRON FOR A CHARITY I WORK FOR AND ...

I REQUIRE A PATRON FOR A CHARITY I WORK FOR AND WONDER HOW I WOULD APPROACH THIS
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  The Scribbler replied 9 years ago.
Sounds like you need a financial "angel". This is a common situation for many charities these days.

There are professional fundraisers who specialize in this kind of work. There actually is an Association of Fundraising Professionals, here is their web site:

http://www.afpnet.org/

Perhaps a brainstorming session with someone from AFP in your area will get you started. Why would they talk to you and share ideas? You might wind up hiring one of them after all.

There is not much of a secret about what they do. They cold call people with money and ask them to donate to your charity. Sometimes they have clue about whether that person might be interested.

There must be other charities like yours. Talk to their staff and find out who their donors are, how they were found, and then think like them and make up your own cold call list.

You've not indicated where you are located or what kind of charity you are representing. Next time your volunteers get together, ask THEM the following question: "What kind of people might donate big money to our cause?" Brainstorm it... then act on it.

You only need one "yes" - don't put this off, someone else can just as easily get the donation instead of you!