Deborah
Deborah, Been There! Done That!
Experience:  Epicurean. International Travel, Theatre,

Too much pepper in a bean soup...how do I tame the heat ...

Customer Question

Too much pepper in a bean soup...how do I tame the heat from the black pepper without losing the entire soup?....expect to serve this for guests on Sunday...thanx
Category: Entertainment
Expert:  Ryan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question, and welcome to Just Answer!

I've found 4 options commonly used when too much pepper or spice is added to a dish.

1. Make more of the soup, minus the pepper. This will dilute the soup. You'll have more than you needed, but it's a better option than starting over.

2. Adding coconut milk reduces the effect of too much pepper. That's what the people from Thailand commonly add.

3. Sugar or Cream have also been suggested.

4. Plain Yogurt

Regards,

Ryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Ryan's Post: Not satisfied with answer--I really fear that adding anything milk based will also detract from soup....It contains linquica, chorica, 17 beans, kale, potatoes, onion, green pepper, celery....not really a Thai based food....
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.
My family has owned an Italian restaurant in Little Italy, NYC for years.Mistakes happen, the chef suggested that you place two potatoes in the soup, This is a trick used when too much salt has been added and also too much pepper.

He also said as in the case of soup, heat the soup longer as heat will also help the taste dissipate.

If you wish to thicken the soup a bit you can use instant potatoe flakes, this will also dilute the pepper.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: the soup already contains potatoes!! i believe i will suggest going out to a seafood restaurant in the area and let the ethnicity go by....
Expert:  Bridgette replied 7 years ago.
Hi all of the above will work and also adding sour cream or a can of sweet corn, the corn attracts the pepper and can be removed after although it is very time consuming removing the corn. But these are really your only options what the other experts have suggested and what I have. Good Luck Bridgette

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bridgette's Post: i am really too timid to do any of the suggestions and serve, i do not want to risk the chance..will not serve...i am going to suggest going out to seafood restaurant..
Expert:  Bridgette replied 7 years ago.
Well that sounds good too. And just remember some of the best recipes were done by experimenting and on accident. You can always try one of the suggestions just to see if it works for you so you will know if this ever happens again. Good Luck! Bridgette

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Bridgette's Post: thank you bridgette for your positive attitude. i really appreciate very much, but i think i shall order scallops....
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.
I failed to mention to put the two potatoes in whole and remove them.