Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineering Hons degree, been working in automotive industry for the last 18 years - Engine development engineer
12772297

I have a question, is it feasible that a flat plate spring

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have a question, is it feasible that a flat plate spring steel could be formed into 145 degree bend and have the range of motion out to 0 degrees without reaching the yield point or deforming?
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: Not at this point
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

to have a spring steel strip with an arc of movement of 35 degrees sounds quite reasonable to me

as with any material steel will bend and recover providing its not taken past its elastic limit and spring steel's elastic limit is very close to its point of UTS ( ultimate tensile stress)

the trick to giving this sort of spring a long life is the aspect ratio of the strip so the thickness of the material should be as thin as possible for the amount of force required as the thicker the material will need a longer strip to keep the strain to acceptable levels

so it will depend of how much force you need the spring to make and how much space you have to package it

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

this site has some useful spring calculators on it

http://www.springulator.com/

Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you