walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience
61772417

What size 6061-T6 aluminum I-beam would it require to

Customer Question

What size 6061-T6 aluminum I-beam would it require to support 7000 pounds in the center of an 18' long I-beam?
Category: Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.

I can help

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

What will this beam be used for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Two crossbeams hanging under a boatlift to help support a large boat. The boatlift currently has two large nylon straps, but the owner is getting a bigger boat, and wants to add two I-beams in addition to the straps, to divide the load

Based on your 7,000 pound point load at midspan of your 18' clear span, you can use:

Aluminum Association Standard I-Beam, 6061-T6 Alloy

12" depth and 14.292 lb/ft

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any questions

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks