Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Two car engines, one naturally aspirated, the other

Customer Question

Two car engines, one naturally aspirated, the other turbocharged. Car is at 5,000 ft. Naturally aspirated engines, as I understand it, lose 3% of their power with each 1,000 ft. of altitude. So the naturally aspirated engine will lose 15% of its power when at 5,000 ft. The car I'm thinking of buying comes with either a 420hp normally aspirated V-8 or a 365hp twin-turbo V-6. At 5,000 feet, am I right in thinking that the V-8 will deliver 357hp, whereas the turbo V-6 will deliver 365hp? If so, and I live in Denver, the more powerful engine is actually the less powerful choice. Could you tell me if I'm wrong? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Are these fuel injected engines or carberated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
These are both fuel injected engines. Thanks for checking.
Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

The turbo engine will loose less hp then the naturally aspirated engine will. The turbos will compress air and force it into the engine. Higher elevations will have thinner air. There for you do not get as much air into the engine. With today's fuel injected engines, air and fuel are mixed much more effectively then the older carb engines where. Therefor you will only loose around 9%. But the turbo engine will still loose less due to the compressed air. The more air and fuel you can get into an engine the more hp you create.

Expert:  Kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

In higher alttitudes the same jar of air will have less molicules then the same jar at sea level. A turbo will create about the same amount of air at any altitude just because the air is compressed.