Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550

Looking to put a skylight in the kitchen. there is a 140x42

Customer Question

Hi. looking to put a skylight in the kitchen.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: there is a 140x42 hanging beam grossing the room at 45degrees ie from opposite corners. the room is open on two sides with no support walls or beams. as the hanging beam is in the way of the proposed skylight shaft., can i REPLACE THE HANGING BEAM WITH ONE OR TWO HANGING BEAMS at 90 degrees and do i need to tie them off with a beam across the kitchen each end of the hanging beam. the kitchen area is 2.4m supported walls x 3.1m unsupported.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I think there was a wall under one end of the unsuported wall as hanging beams for the adjacent area terminate at the end of the kitchen area where maybe a beam needs to go to connect the relocated hanging beam end
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I see this might have been a time sensitive question and I apologize for the delay. Many professionals have reviewed but been unable to answer based on the information above. Do have any further information? Also, is it still needed to be completed? If so, please let me know and I will continue to review my materials for further help on this.