walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience
61772417

I have a garage roof, corrugated iron sheeting, 6m, 5.4m

Customer Question

I have a garage roof, corrugated iron sheeting, 6m long, 5.4m wide, with a centre beam running through the middle to a centre post which is between my current 2 roller doors
I want to remove the centre post between these two roller doors and install a beam to span 5.4m to enable me to install one wide garage roller door.
So basically the 6m longx5.4m wide garage has walls on 3sides and the centre beam runs 6m long to the garage door centre post.
So currently the centre post I want to remove holds one end of the 6m centre beam which takes the central weight of this roof. So,im calculating the post I want to remove takes half the central weight of roof.
Im guessing I need a C channel steel beam approx 230mm x 75mm.
Please advise if you think sufficient
regards
Shane
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Silicon Savant replied 8 months ago.

Hi there happy to help.

Can you give me a number for loading in lbs or kg on the center beam? Then I can size a beam for you.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I dont have a number for loading, as a structural engineer I thought you would have a table of aproximate weights of different roof styles. Corrugated iron roof.
Thankyou
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Daniel, as mentioned I "dont have a number for loading" for you, I have no idea what the weight of the roof is. Are you able to help me with this question? I read you are an Electrical Engineer not a Structural engineer as requested?
Would me uploading a couple images of the roof help?
Ive given dimensions and roof type and the beam I think would be adequate, I just need a confirmation
Regards
Shane