walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience
61772417

I am putting up a covered patio (14 feet depth by 60 feet

Customer Question

Hi, I am putting up a covered patio (14 feet depth by 60 feet wide) across the back of my house in Westminster California. City codes say I need a 4 x 10 wood header to span 10 feet between posts ( 1 inch per foot). To increase the slope of my roof, I want to use a lower size header that is less than 10 inches tall. No snow in orange county ca. I want to know if glulam size 7 1/2 '' tall or 5'' by 6'' tall could also work?
Thanks, Mike
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

I can give you a glulam beam size that matches the strength and stiffness of a 4x10 doug fir beam. Is that reasonable?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a glulam beam size that matches the load, strength, and stiffness of a 4x10 doug fir beam that is also not as tall. It can be wider, up to 6 inches as long it is under 9 3/4 inch tall. I need an answer that the Westminster inspector will except. I think strength, stiffness and load, but not sure. Was hoping 3 1/3'' x 7 1/2 '' or 5'' x 6'' glulam would work.

Neither of those sizes will work. I can only provide the size here or I can submit an additional service offer to provide detailed calculations showing the glulam is at least as strong and stiff. Neither of those sizes will work, though. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what do you mean "here" ? I am in orange county

Here...in the chat.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no thank you, ***** ***** not help me. I will pay an engineer that can give me what the city needs. Thanks Mike

No problem. Good luck with your project.