walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience

I need a beam to span 18' and support a 1 ton trolley hoist.

Customer Question

I need a beam to span 18' and support a 1 ton trolley hoist. Over head clearance is minimal so I'd prefer a 6" beam but I do have room for an 8" beam. I will be using the hoist for lifting appliances and furniture into and out of the basement. I would expect to see a maximum load of 500# ***** am trying to be cautious.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is Papatrexas and I will be happy to assist you.

Do you care if is wood or metal?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Metal so can put a trolly hoist on it

Here you go

Nominal Size - Depth x Width- 8"x4" steal beam = to 6900 lbs

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I understand this right you're telling me that a steel I beam 8"x4" spanning 18' will support 6 thousand 9 hundred pounds. But I think I beams are not only measured by hight and width but also pounds of steel per foot. I don't think you've given me enough information.

I don't know the weight of this beam you ask what will support 1500 lbs and yes an 8x4 beam will have a live load o 6900 lbs

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ether you didn't read my question or you don't know how many pounds are in a ton. You also don't seem to know much about I beams. I do appreciate your efforts but I think you are in over your head. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 months ago.

I can help you, I am an Engineer.

Will this 18' span trolley hoist beam be laterally braced along it's span or only braced at the end supports?

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I assumed the beam will only be braced at the supports.

You can use a W6x16 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 18’ clear span beam. The beam is 4” wide and 6.25” deep. It weighs 16 pounds per foot of beam length. You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any questions.