Experience:  dasdasd

What would the section size of a pitching beam need to be if

Customer Question

what would the section size of a pitching beam need to be if i have a tiled roof at 4.2m x 5.1m with no ceiling
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswers. My name is Papatrexas and I will be happy to assist you with your question.

What kind of roof tile we are talking about?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Concrete roof tiles

I thing you are looking for rafter spacing correct?

I am going to opt out maybe some one else can help

Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 3 months ago.
Hi my name is***** a contractor building contractor would like to help you if I can you please rephrase the question
I'm not familiar with the term pitching beam?
What I'm understanding is that you have an open beam ceiling well technically no ceiling underside of your roof basically is your ceiling and you have exposed framing. Is this correct? If you're considering what would normally be a roof rafter to be a beam because it's called open beam framing then will largely depend upon the spacing between the beams in the Live load in debt load better on the roof and if the structures capable of supporting it. Often times roots are not designed to carry the weight of tile and are specifically designed for tile if they are going to have tile really designed for that to begin with. It sounds to me like you are read doing the rough framing or adding to the referring me to make it structurally sound to support the weight. Is that correct?
Do you have an existing roof composition shingles or something that affects going to want to remove the existing roofing and put down the minimum tile liner which is 40 pound . But that's the minimum requirement if you really want your tile roof the last 50 years, You're going to have to put something like he modified bitumen roofing. This is a fancy name for saying torch-on Roofing.
Tyler is only last as long as the underlayment soon as the underlayment Will rot due to air getting to it water getting to the tiles because inevitably it does. A tile roof is not 100% waterproof but so it needs the underlayment to make it so. Although every effort is made to make the tile 1% waterproof it just isn't. Where do you have a seepage of water the underlayment becomes wet , That combined with air because often times the tile roof is not sealed like a shingle roof is sealed tight air cannot get to the underlayment not so with the tile roof. The average life of a tile roof if you use 30 pound ASTM felt which actually is 10 pounds less than me minimum required however it is typically allowed by billing inspectors , At least I've seen it on many tile roofs I repaired
Forgive the miss spelling the first word is supposed to be tile tile only last as long as the underlayment and often times it does not last 20 years and people find themselves removing the tile roof only to repair the underlayment and then put the tiles back again which is very costly because much of a tile roof is labor intensive. I know this is not addressing your pitch beam. But there are necessary things to discuss and or to put things into proper perspective also I would not want you to spend all your money and time putting on a tile roof that you expect the last 50 years and have to redo it before 20 years old I seen it hundreds of times. Even on flat tile. I given you a lot of information most of it should be helpful to you, I know I have not answered your main question and yes I plan to do so however I will wait for a response from you before we continue may be better for us to communicate be via phone call. Line
Thank you for contacting just answer I look forward to hearing from you soon. In the meantime you can go online and you can look at span charts. They give you the amount of distance that you can spend with particular type of lumber with the spacing of 12 16 24 inch on center. That's knocking to be particularly cured vantage because you're spacing is probably going to be 4 feet however you can use the calculations by doubling up lumber and doubling up spacing. You also have to factor in what's called fiber and bending. Is an additional factor for each type of lumber that had to be figured in for deflection. If you plan to pick your roof at .25 Per lf of sloap which is the minimum slope of a hot tar or monolithic flat roof. When you have a deflection a .5 you'll end up with ponding because your roof ex we will bow flex farther in the middle then you've provided rise for. The wait will cause the roof to be lower in the middle that it is at the drain for scupper or the run off edge
Again I will wait for your response thank you