StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Engineering Expert

Concrete floor span

Customer Question

concrete floor span
Category: Engineering
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
need to span a concrete floor beam 20ft. that beam will be intersected by another 10ft beam at the mid point. This is to hold up a concrete floor 12x12 ft. Walls will be cmu. Need to know what size and spec these beams need to be.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In the attached picture, The red floor beam (C) needs to span 18-20ft. Beam (A) needs to intersect Beam (C) right at half way point and has a support just at about 8ft from the intersection. Beam B is 8ft across. the slab (4"-5") is what i want suspended with cmu wall supporting roof on Beam (A) and the southern section of beam (C).
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I can help
I can design one of the beams for you as this question. Which one would you like?
As an additional service, I can design the beams and slab with all beam width and depth and rebar requirements and concrete strength requirements and sketches. For the slab, too.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The longer beam is the most important to me. I can figure out the intersecting beam and the slab. Just need this main beam to be able to hold up that slab and cmu walls.

Are the CMU walls directly above the beam Are they bearing walls?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the cmu walls will run on the beam.They will be holding up part of a roof.

I really need to see a roof plan so I can track load to that wall which will, in turn, load the beam.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The yellow part is the part is the slab being suspnded. Red lines is floor below.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Anything ?
Is this a complete concrete building?
Are you sure the cmu walls are bearing walls? That would be atypical for a concrete slab
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The cmu walls are holding up the roof. I can simply place a column right under where the two cmu walls meet but want to keep the floor below open. i just need to know what size beam will hold this up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its complete concrete. see attached for better illustration
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any luck?