Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineering Hons degree, been working in automotive industry for the last 18 years - Engine development engineer

How hot does a metal roof get.(thin corrugated galvanized)

Customer Question

How hot does a metal roof get.(thin corrugated galvanized) in northern Virginia?
And can I generate electricity from it using thermo generators?
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

I'd estimate that a black painted roof will reach temperatures of about 50°C / 122F ?

it'd be best to take some measurement though to confirm this

and the thermo generators I've seen work best when the temperature difference ( hot side to cold side ) is at least 40°C so if you were to rig up some kind of cooling circuit on 1 side then this might be enough but then you have losses with running a pump to circulate the water etc

or use this firms product which incorporate a fan on the cold side

However to be honest I'd say you're better off with a water heater like this, as I don't think your thermal difference is going to be hot enough for it to pay for itself

rather than trying to make electricity from a thermo generator

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you