Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness

I am trying to build a boat loader pickup. I am

Customer Question

I am trying to build a boat loader for my pickup. I am thinking about using 1" square 6061 aluminum tubing with a .125 wall for the framework. Maximum span length is 72". Total boat weight is 175 lbs. This will be mounted on an existing pickup rack. This link will give a good example of what I am talking about. If you need further information, please let me know.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 months ago.
So what can we help you with?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If a 72" span of 1' square .125 wall thickness 6061 aluminum is anchored at each end will it support 48" wide inverted boat that weighs 90 lbs that is centered on the span. Sketch attached
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 5 months ago.
You need an engineer to figure out the loading so I'll opt out and open the question up.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks. For the engineer. If a 1" square tube doesn't work, will a rectangular 1 1/2' x 1" .125 wall 6061 aluminum tube work? If not what will?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, you should be able to use that tube with no issues, loaded as you have it. The basic calculation yields approx 50 pounds to bend that tube at 100" long, but since you are supported at both ends it means your weakest point is only 1/2 the span, or 36 inches. I wouldn't think you could hang in the center of the bars, but they should easily support the boat laid like you illustrated