StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Engineering Expert

I want to instal a moving glass wall (NanaWall) across the

Customer Question

I want to instal a moving glass wall (NanaWall) across the back of my house. This will be 34' long with a wall on one half and a window above the kitchen counter on the other half. When opened, the entire area will be unobstructed. ( No posts). The walls are 9 feet high on the first floor, the second floor has 8' high walls and there is an attic with very limited storage. The mechanical is kept in the attic. The full length of the second floor is the same as the first floor's kitchen and living room which we are opening. The second floor is supported by engineered 12" trusjoists. I need to know the size of the glulam needed to support the home for this opening.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I've worked with nanawall before. The deflection requirements are very strict.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How is that an answer to my question? What is the required size of a glulam or other engineered beam to span a 34' opening on an exterior support wall?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Deflection on any glass unit would be strict, you cannot put a load on glass, hence the need for the beam.
I'm saying the beam will be very large.What is the joist length? Is this supporting a floor, attic, and roof?
I understand the design criteria for glass. Most Windows have a sip joint at the top so a deflecting beam doesn't load it. Nanawall is typically hung. It's a different condition
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Joist length is 16'. There is a second floor, an attic with limited storage, and a roof.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are trying to ascertain the most affordable way of supporting the structure, to include the shear, we are looking at engineered wood beams and steel, tube or i-beam. We need to get an idea of size needed to get pricing before we get an engineer to do the drawings.