StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Engineering Expert
59685895

Robison. Have new home underconstruction with tension

Customer Question

Robison. Have new home underconstruction with tension cables. Have concerns about how closely the foundation pour should match the blueprints by the structual enginerring firm.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Engineering blueprints I found have a 1.5" drop in the garage for tire stop. But actual pour has 4" drop from inside garage door and 3" drop for tire kick, total of 7", blueprint has 1.5. Patio has 1.5" drop on blue print ( e.g. to prevent water penetration from inside to outside ) it is 3". Also 1 tension cable is exposed because they poured wrong and had to chip out 3"x13"x24'.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Engineers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello

I can help. Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure, no problem. I am going to attach a couple of images include blueprint.

Thank you.

Is this a post tensioned slab in grade?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
post tensioned slab on the ground. My concerns are garage was not poured as blue printed ( probably due to elevation ) which does not seem good, patio was suppose to be 1.5 drop from edge of wall to outside instead it was 3" meaning maybe not poured thick enough, and had a ledge 3"x13"x24 feet that had to be chipped away because of mispour. Thoughts on these issues ? Would you be concerned if this happened to your house ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added some more pics of patio.

I would ask questions. There may be a legitimate reason. The exposed cable needs to be addressed, though, for durability and fire rating.

It may be that the slab is correct thickness, but the curbs are taller (thicker) than needed. That could cause problems if you have to drive over it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't it be a concern if for the garage if the blueprint says there is only a 1.5" drop for tire stop, but in fact it was poured with 3" tire stop drop and another 4" step at the garage door ( the alley in back where the garage is lower than front street ). But I assume alot of design was done for the blue print which assume everything was "normally" flat. Blueprint is one of the first attachments.