Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineering Hons degree, been working in automotive industry for the last 18 years - Engine development engineer
12772297

I was wondering if my 97 q45 has an electric variable assist

Customer Question

I was wondering if my 97 q45 has an electric variable assist power steering gear because my steering was working fine and then it got stiff when I go slow and when I accelerate make it a lot easier and the pump in the hoses are all fine
Category: Engineering
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

its only the most recent generation of Q45 that has EPS, your model should be a conventional setup with a hydraulic pump and lines running to the steering rack

when the car is travelling slowly there is more load on the steering anyway so its perfectly normal for the effort to reduce at speed

so I'd next check that the fluid in the pump reservoir is dark red and up to the mark when hot and if its black it will need replacing

also check the condition of the strut top bearings as if one or both are seized then this will greatly add to the steering effort

Then check that the tyre pressures are correct to those stated in the manual / on the door jamb sticker,

if this all seems OK then I'd jack the car up so the front wheels are off the ground and move the road wheels from lock to lock by hand feeling for any tight spots as you move it

if its tight throughout the movement this could be a faulty steering rack or a seized strut top bearing

if you've been getting any strange clonking or 'boings' from the front suspension this points to a worn strut top

if there are tight patches of movement then its likely that a steering column universal joint is seizing up

so try dousing the joints one at a time in WD40 - or similar penetrating oil and turning the wheel in between to see if this makes any difference

To feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it dusent have a electric assist or a magnetization stiring or eny thing difrent cause it would tern very easy well stopt and as i pick up speed it wold titen up and when i ferst bout the car it was kinda like that and i changed a fuse that was blown and it got rilly easy so when it happened a gen I thought it was the fuse a gen butt no and all I did was throw a dounut and it happened so i Thor it was one of those rong.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ya that's fine ************* fill free to call asap
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

if your Q45 is a later model form 2007 and not the 1997 then yes it has electrical assistance

these cars are quite prone to the steering column joints seizing up so I'd try some oil on that UJ 1st