walkereng
walkereng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Over 30 years of comprehensive experience
61772417

We are building a home in Mexico an the drawing states that

Customer Question

We are building a home in Mexico an the drawing states that I need a 19" high concrete beam to support the wooded pergola. The span is 5.66M between the 12" columns. Can we add steel to reduce the size of the beam?
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

How much do you want to reduce the size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Down to 12". My wife is concerned with the roof being too high and thus limiting the amount of shade by the pool.

You would have to double the amount of steel just for strength and deflection will be an issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drawing doesn't specify the width of the beam. The builder just says that he can reduce the size but I will look funny. Its sounds to me like they spec'd the beam size purely for aesthetic reasons. What should the width be?

We don't determine beam sizes for aesthetic reasons. I can't size a beam without loading and deflection criteria.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that we need a 19" deep reinforced concrete beam to support what....its own weight plus a few smaller wood beams? Here is a picture of a pergola from the area with a 30' span. He used an 8" steel beam wrapped in cedar. Can you tell me what size of concrete beam and amount of rebar would be compareable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that it then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so the span is 5.66M, the maximum deflection would be 18.87mm. The load will be around 7 kips/squ.ft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you going to answer ?

7 kips/sq ft is not in any universe a realistic load.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, your the engineer. Tell me how to figure it out. 5 beams sitting on it with one end attached to the house. Each beam weighs 200 lbs. So 500 lbs resting on each span.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you an actual engineer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer me or close the conversation so I can rate you.

I'm going to opt out. You've provided no information to help me answer this question. I want to help, but I'm not a mind reader and neither photo that you've send shows a concrete beam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, so what you need is a picture of a beam that isn't built yet. Maybe you are an engineer. You can probably figure out the square root of a pickle jar but you would starve to death trying to get one out. By the way that was a joke. Thanks for nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please opt out.

You've given 0 criteria to design a beam other than the span.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave you all a real engineer would need. Here is a tutorial as well. This should helphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vd_q1KHIRo