Noah Klein
Noah Klein,
Experience:  Owner, Master Plumber at Royal Plumbing, LLC
84679524

I am installing some solar panels on a pole on top of a ll

Customer Question

Hi, I am installing some solar panels on a pole on top of a hill at a remote telecomm site, and I need assistance regarding the concrete foundation required. The total area size of the solar panels is 3.0 m x 1.7 m, at a 15 degree angle. They will be on
a 6 m high pole. The wind in the area is really low - have a look for the Louis Trichardt area in South Africa: http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/forecast/southafrica#7/-23.342/29.399 What size concrete foundation do I need, if I am using 30 MPA cement.
Thank you - Jonathan
Category: Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would also like to confirm the minimum thickness of the 6m length structural steel tube required for the solar panels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add that the total weight of the solar panels will be 60 kgs.
Expert:  Noah Klein replied 1 year ago.

Disclaim: I am a plumber, not a builder. That being said, I have seen foundations for a number of various installations. The most important thing you need to know is the frost line for the area you are working in. Here in Michigan, the frost line is 42" below grade. The reason you need to be below the frost line is that with changing temperatures, the ground can shift and move your footing.

Based on what I have seen for transition satellite dishes (from a radio station), I would suggest you have a concrete pad 11' x 11' or 4m x 4m. The depth should exceed the frost line by at least 6". Here is Michigan we would use 50" depth.

Yes, that is A LOT of concrete. But the thing will not move!