Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I'm looking to build a fish farm with multiple floors - the

Customer Question

I'm looking to build a fish farm with multiple floors - the general shape for each floor would be http://i.imgur.com/SCRLpXY.png with a 20' or 30' wide run. What size, spacing (the straight spans of the run would be fine for this estimate) and bracing A992 steel I beam would I need for 20ft deep water on a 20' and 30' span?
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can help with this, but each member should be asked as a separate question or I can submit an additional service offer to do the entire design

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed up for unlimited questions.

That's fine, but please ask them individually

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea how to word these individually - they are intimately related as a change to one part of the question changes the others.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am not a structural engineer. This is not an answer.

The situation is that an engineering project is not a simple question, with a 'just an answer' solution.

It is anengineering project, involving all sorts of complex calculations including seismic calculations depending on which earth quake zone you are in... a project like that will take a structural engineer at least 4 or 5 hours to calculate, then another 3 to 5 hours to produce a CAD drawing so you can build it.

That is why the structural engineer who posted in response wanted to work through an 'additional service' agreement. You can of course take your situation to a local structural engineer. Prices will range sell over $3,000, most likely over $5,000.

None of that complex engineering project can be covered by a simple question and answer...that is why the company has provided the 'additional service' option.

I hope that helps. Good luck with the project.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did actually split it into three separate questions since posting.