StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Bachelor's Degree
Experience:  Engineering Expert
59685895

Looking to install a safety bar safety harness to work on

Customer Question

looking to install a safety bar for a safety harness for individual to work on top of trailers. Will a 20' - 2" X 3"- 1/4" thick wall support a 250 lb person? (if not what size would we need to install for this purpose?) What grade of steel beam will I need?
I will be attaching to metal roof beam of building with 1/2" threaded rod at each end with support angles to keep stable. (in case of a fall)
Category: Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you.

Do you have a sketch of the setup? OSHA requires a system that does not have a maximum fall arrest force built into the harnessing system to be designed for a 5000 pound fall arrest force. The size beam that you listed will not be close to working for that OSHA required load over a 20' span.

I can size the beam only, is that reasonable?

If you need the connection to the existing structure engineered and detailed, I can do that as an additional service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, if I run three - 1/2" threaded rod (one each end and one in middle) what size of pipe would I need.
The individual will be wearing a safety harness.
Will I be charged again for this additional question?

I can check the pipe only for those support conditions. Is that reasonable: you still need to have the rods and connections checked.