Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have been told from a General Contractor that any thing stated

Customer Question

I have been told from a General Contractor that any thing stated on the electrical drawings that say GC verify, Means electrical contractor is responsible for it, even though there are other statements that say electrical contractor verify. If drawings state electrical contractor to verify does it mean in the field before submitting a bid. IF you state a certain length of service wire on a proposal and it turns out to be more is the electrical contractor responsible for it??
Category: Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
. the electrical drawings states on the one line diagram EC TO VERIFY a measurement this was at a Mall so we contacted the maintenance dept and they told us two times that it was 75'-0 so we put it on our accepted proposal .It turn out to be 250'-0 .there is a line that states The GC will visit the site and inspect all field conditions .The GC is saying that that is our responsible to verify the EC ????
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If it says "EC Verify" then it is the responsibility of the Electrical Contractor to make sure it is correct, however they would do so through the reasonable and customary means used in the industry, which generally means going out to review and inspect the site. If the plans say GC Verify, then it falls onto the GC. However, the GC is not liable for what the EC was to verify, just like the EC would not be liable for what the GC was to verify.
If the mall maintenance department verified it incorrectly, then it is on the EC and mall maintenance jointly and severally to be liable for mistake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was one line that stated ( EC to verify) in the one line diagramIn a boxed area one line states field verify all conditions
next line states The GC shall visit the site prior to bidding or award of contract to inspect existing field conditions
this contract shall include all labor and materials necessary for field modifications due to existing conditions..
next line The GC SHALL CONTACT THE ARCHITECT PRIOR TO BIDDING FOR INTERPETATIONS AND CLARIFICATIONS made by the architect after bidding will be finial and shall be implemented
at GC 's cost.
another line outside the box states GC to provide fuses and metering devise if not existing. who is responsible for supplying the meter???Does this mean that the GC and EC was to field verify??The proposal stated 75'-0 of service included, and was made part of the contract.
Is the EC responsible for the overage of the service length????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
So if the contract said the GC was to visit the site to verify all conditions the GC should have gone to verify the plans. Also, if the plans say the GC was to provide the metering device if not existing, the GC is liable to provide that, not the EC. From the way you have it written, the GC had the ultimate liability to go to the site to verify and provide the meter and fuses necessary.