Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

About two years ago, my family found out that our house had

Customer Question

About two years ago, my family found out that our house had exposure to very high levels of radiation for about two years at least after the electrical company installed street lights improperly. I came down w/ papillary thyroid cancer without any family history. Had the thyroid removed this past march and my levels have been stable since then. Should I check for other types of cancer as well? Also, I recently have been experiencing slight thinning of the skin on my eyelids. Wondering if this could be a consequence of the radiation or just natural with aging.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you suffered with thyroid cancer. Thyroid, blood cell and skin cancer are the three most common cancers post radiation exposure. Since your exposure was more than two years ago, if you were to develop other problems from the radiation exposure, they would already have surfaced. The eyelid thinning is not a sign of cancer, so don't be concerned. The only medical treatment is to maintain a TSH level so that your thyroid replacement medication is controlled.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. Could the radiation be the cause of any eye problems? Thanks.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome. Not the problem you mentioned, eyelid thinning.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Or is it possible for eyes to droop as we get older? However I am only 18.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 days ago.

Eyelids droop slightly as one gets older, but you are 18. I don't consider that as "older."