Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

Does being sick affect TSH levels? I just had blood work

Customer Question

Does being sick affect TSH levels? I just had blood work done while I was sick. Also, all my thyroid symptoms improved during the first few days of being sick with a cold. Why would this be? They improved significantly.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 18 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear of your Thyroid problem. Being sick with a viral infection could cause a slight change in your TSH level. Do you have Thyroid disease that is being treated with Levothyroxine or other medication? What symptoms do you have in regard to your Thyroid?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Would the TSH be higher or lower? I am not being treated with medicine yet. I have fatigue, am always freezing, low appetite, and cold/numb/tingling feeling in both hands and feet.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had a high TSH but now it is "normal."
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 18 days ago.

What was the TSH level? It is possible for TSH to vary, if there is a Thyroid problem, but not by much unless medication is involved.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My first TSH was 4.2. My second TSH was 2.5 and my FT4 was 1.0.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am not on any medications except birth control.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 18 days ago.

These numbers are not indicative of Thyroid disease (TSH values normal 0.45-4.5 in most labs). Free T4 , normal is up to 1.4 in most labs. May I suggest you discuss with your doctor the chance of your symptoms being caused by an adrenal or pituitary problem and that a work up be done. These can be evaluated with blood tests, ultrasound and MRI.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What type of doctor would I see for adrenal or pituitary problems?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also what type of adrenal or pituitary problems could I have based on my symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 18 days ago.

Adrenal insufficiency and Pituitary Adenoma (Pituitary Gland in head controls activity of the Thyroid Gland). The doctor to see is an Endocrinologist.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 16 days ago.

Have you scheduled an appointment with an Endocrinologist for further evaluation?